Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sunday Night



Just got back from our Sunday night visit. Her box was being cleaned and she was about to be moved to it. This allow more heat retention and less weight loss. It also means she is more stable and they don't have to fool with her as much. As you will see in the pic, she is off the ventilator. She is breathing with some stimulation through a nasal thingy (there is a technical term that escapes my memory) and doing well. If she gets tired she may have to go back on ventilator for a short time and back and forth as she gets stronger. But now that the ventilator is off, the tube that was between her vocal chords is gone and we are hearing little sounds which eventually will be cries. Can you imagine - you actually can't wait until you hear your daughter scream her head off!!

She did have a spinal tap today and one test that is very sensitive tested positive for meningitis. The doctor is not concerned about treating it, he said we just have to know to make sure we get it all. If he ain't worried, then I'm not worried.

She still have some brownish fluid in her belly, so for now they are holding off on breastmilk. Maybe tomm, maybe Tuesday.

What we are looking forward to is a few more tubes coming out and then we will be able to hold her. I don't know if they will be able to get Jennifer out of there when that happens. She has already mentioned that when she comes home she's not getting put down. And considering two older sisters and family, that might be true for a time.

Some sobering news was that they don't consider sending them home until 35 weeks. Even if they aren't 5lbs as long as they are eating and gaining weight. So we are in this for sure until July 20. They told us to be prepared for the due date - August 22nd. In the big picture, as long as she comes home healthy. Not all babies make it out of NICU, and why should I be selfish to think mine should come early? Our prayer to Jesus all along has been to work in Sara and our family's life in such a way that He gets the glory and His name is made known!

Jenny is doing well, having some trouble with her incision and blistering from medical tape. When that clears up in a few days it is going to be hard to hold her back. The girls are doing great also. They are sharing a room so Maw Maw and Paw Paw can stay and help out (and they have been incredible!). They are now trying to convince us they need bunk beds like their cousins, Benjamin and Jonathan. I'm thinking they are still in the honeymoon phase.

So many other babies and families in NICU, keep praying for them as you pray for Sara. And I can't say it enough - thanks for your support and prayers.

10 comments:

  1. I found your blog through Kelly's Korner. Please know that I will be praying for your family and especially for Sara. My daughter was born last August at 25 weeks. We spent many weeks in the NICU, but she is now home and doing terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you're going through. I am a mom of triplets who were born at 27 weeks and who spent three months in the NICU with all the ups and downs. They will be celebrating their 10th birthday in a couple of weeks and are eating me out of house and home.

    KEEP THE FAITH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad the doctor isn't worried about treating meningitis. I have heard such great things about the Nicu doctors and nurses. I am sure Sara is in great earthly hands. I don't blame Jennifer for saying she won't be put down when she comes home! I'm praying Jennifer's incision heals quickly and she is comfortable. Praying y'all are able to hold Sara soon! I'm praying for all of the other babies in the Nicu also.

    I forgot to mention Happy Anniversary the other day. So, Happy Anniversary! 10 years is great! :) I'm thinking you are right that the girls might still be in the honeymoon phase of sharing the room!

    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome time we are all sharing as we see God working in the lives of so many people! I just read the amazing comments others have sent. How uplifting it must be to hear of others that share our prayers for baby Sara and for the entire family, doctors, nurses, etc...Baby Sara has already touched so many lives and will continue to do so as others see the mighty hand of God working in all areas of her life. Praying you have another blessed day today and she coninues to improve and as Jenny has made me realize, I pray for all the other babies & families in NICU. Love ya'll and Jen, we miss you at church. Love Kaye, P.S. From one grandparent to another:I love the remark about as soon as the knee was bent the prayer was working.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying that the time flies, she continues to improve daily, and that in no time you'll be hearing those ear splitting cries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you while blog-hopping this morning. I've read through all your posts and am so glad to hear that your beautiful Sara is improving. I hope you don't mind if I link to you on my blog -- tomorrow marks 27 weeks for me with my first baby, so this hit very close to home. I'm praying for you and would love to pass on your story so that others can pray too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also stumbled in from another blog...I'm curious how big Sara was at birth, I don't think I saw that anywhere. I'm 26 weeks pregnant so this hits close to home for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came over from Kelly's blog.

    I'm a teen(that's a twin) that was born at 29 weeks. I got down 1 pound 6 oz while in the hospital, I can't remember my exact weight at birth(My mom does though:))

    We spent 3 1/2 months in the NICU. God gave me a miracle; he can give you one too. The doctors had all kinds of negative things to say, but they don't know everything because I'm doing EVERYTHING they said I wouldn't be able to! Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found you all from Kellys Korner, we had a little boy this past Jan at 24.5 weeks, He was 1lb 8oz and is now over 9 lbs. Pleaee visit my blog, as it is my way of contacting other micro preemie parents. I have a list of preemie blogs on there that you can view as well. Any questions, write anytime. We are still on the roller coaster. Spent 4 mo in the NICU and just got moved to the childrens hospital, he has not come home yet and I am living with him now that I can be with him 24/7

    ReplyDelete
  10. She was 2lbs 14oz, they haven't weighed her since. Thanks for the encouragement, we will check your blogs, we have already on some and been uplifted. Praying for you evwmom!

    ReplyDelete